- News24.com | Omicron variant: Latest on the worldwide spread of Covid-19on November 29, 2021 at 8:52 pm
The heavily mutated Omicron coronavirus variant is likely to spread internationally, the World Health Organisation warned on Monday.
- News24.com | EXPLAINER | What we know so far about the Omicron varianton November 29, 2021 at 8:30 pm
South African scientists have discovered a new Covid-19 variant with multiple mutations, Omicron, which is thought to be highly contagious.
- News24.com | Fauci urges vaccines as US on 'high alert' for Omicron varianton November 29, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Senior government scientist Anthony Fauci said Monday the United States was on "high alert" for the new Covid-19 variant and urged people to get vaccinated after Canada confirmed its first cases of the new strain.
- News24.com | Omicron variant: Spain, Sweden detect first cases - both travellers from SAon November 29, 2021 at 7:00 pm
MADRID, Nov 29 - Spain has detected its first case of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus in a 51-year-old man who arrived from South Africa on Sunday after a layover in Amsterdam, Madrid's regional health authorities said on Monday.
- News24.com | G7 health ministers praises SA's 'exemplary work' in detecting Omicron varianton November 29, 2021 at 5:40 pm
The new Covid variant Omicron is highly transmissible and requires "urgent action," G7 health ministers said Monday, praising South Africa's "exemplary work" for both detecting the strain and alerting others to it.
- News24.com | Covid-19: UK to offer all adults booster shotson November 29, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Britain will offer a Covid-19 booster vaccine to all adults and give second doses to children aged between 12 and 15, the UK's top vaccine advisers said on Monday.
- News24.com | Dutch couple who escaped Covid hotel now in hospital isolationon November 29, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Dutch authorities placed a couple in isolation in hospital after they made a "not really wise" bid to abscond from a quarantine hotel for Covid-positive passengers from South Africa, officials said Monday.
- News24.com | Swedish parliament elects Social Democrat leader as new PM, againon November 29, 2021 at 3:23 pm
STOCKHOLM, Nov 29 - Swedish parliament for the second time in less than a week elected Social Democrat Magdalena Andersson as new prime minister on Monday, leaving the country's first female premier to navigate a fragmented and fraught political lan
- News24.com | Covid-19: WHO calls on nations to sign treaty to deal with future pandemicson November 29, 2021 at 2:50 pm
The world must study the wreckage of Covid-19 and say "never again" by striking a pandemic preparedness treaty, the WHO said Monday as countries gathered to build a new accord.
- News24.com | WHO warns Covid variant Omicron risk 'very high'on November 29, 2021 at 2:40 pm
The World Health Organisation warned Monday the new Covid-19 Omicron variant poses a "very high" risk globally, despite uncertainties about the danger and contagion levels of the new strain.
- News24.com | G7 ministers meet as new Covid strain spreads around the globeon November 29, 2021 at 2:15 pm
G7 health ministers were to hold an emergency meeting on Monday on the new Omicron Covid-19 strain spreading the globe and forcing border closures, as experts race to understand what the variant means for the fight to end the pandemic.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Couple who visited SA arrested for escaping quarantine hotel in the Netherlands, trying to fleeon November 29, 2021 at 1:52 pm
The couple were quarantining in a hotel near Amsterdam alongside at least 13 people who had the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, Dutch media said.
- Businessinsider.co.za | WHO slams countries for putting travel bans on southern Africa, saying it 'attacks global solidarity'on November 29, 2021 at 12:05 pm
Countries put travel bans on multiple southern African nations after the Omicron coronavirus variant was first detected in South Africa and Botswana.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Omicron variant is 'almost definitely here already' in the US, former FDA commissioner sayson November 29, 2021 at 11:49 am
"It's almost a certainty that there have been cases that have gotten into the United States," Scott Gottlieb said of the omicron coronavirus variant.
- Businessinsider.co.za | For the second time, a New Zealand lawmaker rode her bike to the hospital to give birthon November 29, 2021 at 10:43 am
"I genuinely wasn't planning to cycle in labour, but it did end up happening," said Julie Anne Genter, a member of New Zealand's Parliament.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Shanghai cancelled 500 flights, closed schools, suspended hospital services because of 3 Covid caseson November 29, 2021 at 10:43 am
Shanghai canceled 30% of flights from two major airports and stopped outpatient services at 20 hospitals after three Covid-19 cases were identified in the city.
- News24.com | New Zealand to ease Covid-19 measures this week despite Omicron 'risk' - PM Jacinda Ardernon November 29, 2021 at 10:02 am
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said the country will move into a system of living with the Covid-19 virus later this week, despite the new Omicron variant posing a fresh health threat to the world.
- News24.com | Pandemic to cost global tourism $2.0 trillion in 2021: UNon November 29, 2021 at 7:51 am
The coronavirus pandemic will cost the global tourism sector $2.0 trillion in lost revenue in 2021, the UN's tourism body said Monday, calling the sector's recovery "fragile" and "slow".
- News24.com | Japan to bar new foreign arrivals over virus variant: PMon November 29, 2021 at 6:57 am
Japan will reinstate tough border measures, barring all new foreign arrivals over the Omicron Covid variant, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida announced Monday, just weeks after a softening of strict entry rules.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Supply chain crisis is so bad people are turning to bots to buy everything from electronics to toyson November 28, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Bots were already popular with sneaker buyers, but now they're becoming more common among other tech-savvy consumers, too.