- News24.com | Tencent buys stake in UK bankon December 31, 2021 at 7:54 pm
Tencent, the Chinese tech giant, took a stake in Monzo Bank as part of a funding round that values the UK fintech at more than R72 billion.
- News24.com | Americans invested a record R80bn in African tech start-ups in 2021on December 31, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Nearly two-thirds of the top 20 largest disclosed deals involved investors from the US Companies including Endeavor Catalyst and Ribbit Capital that took part in at least three deals each.
- News24.com | New Year’s Eve is happening in the Metaverse this yearon December 29, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Cryptocurrency giant Digital Currency Group and real estate firm Jamestown -- owner of One Times Square in Manhattan -- are recreating the iconic site of the New Year’s Eve ball drop in Decentraland, a blockchain-based virtual world.
- News24.com | North West switches to digital TV signal as March deadline loomson December 22, 2021 at 1:38 pm
South Africa's long-delayed migration from analogue TV signal to digital has been hit by several setbacks and the country has set itself a March 2022 deadline to complete the process.
- News24.com | Inside South African virology labs: hunting for the next varianton December 18, 2021 at 1:04 pm
The discovery of the omicron Covid-19 variant by South African and Botswanan scientists last month has lent urgency to efforts to isolate the virus and test its ability to evade vaccines the world is pinning its hopes on to end a two-year pandemic.
- News24.com | Vodacom and MTN join Telkom in temporary spectrum battle against Icasaon October 16, 2021 at 4:11 pm
MTN says Icasa's move to halt temporary spectrum means it will no longer be able to offer students and learners free access to educational content on the scale that is has done throughout the pandemic.
- News24.com | Samsung forecasts near-30% jump in third-quarter operating profiton October 10, 2021 at 1:25 pm
South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics defied the global supply chain challenges to forecast a near-30% jump in third-quarter operating profits on Friday.
- News24.com | General Motors says 2023 car will allow mostly hands-free drivingon October 8, 2021 at 7:34 am
General Motors plans to launch in 2023 a premium model that would enable hands-free operation in 95 percent of driving scenarios, the US auto giant announced Wednesday.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Apple has reportedly begun testing foldable screen prototypes for upcoming iPhoneson January 16, 2021 at 5:22 pm
Foldable screens for iPhones are being tested by Apple engineers, say reports, but the company hasn't yet decided whether to proceed with the plan.
- Businessinsider.co.za | WhatsApp says don't worry about Facebook policy - experts say switch to 'highly trusted' Signalon January 16, 2021 at 4:09 pm
Although WhatsApp won't share message content, it will share who, where and when you talk to people, experts told Insider.
- Businessinsider.co.za | WhatsApp delays new policy change after critics claimed update would turn over user data to Facebookon January 16, 2021 at 7:51 am
WhatsApp said the delay is due to "confusion" surrounding the new policy, which it said will "not expand our ability to share data with Facebook."
- Businessinsider.co.za | Signal appears to be down for some users after a record spike in downloadson January 15, 2021 at 8:18 pm
The apparent issues come after Signal saw a 4,200% spike in downloads after WhatsApp users flocked to the encrypted messaging app.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Health and tech giants, including Microsoft and Oracle, are creating 'vaccination passports'on January 14, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, Cerner, Epic Systems, and the Mayo Clinic are all part of the Vaccination Credential Initiative creating the passports.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Telegram in SA can help you to buy booze, drugs, and sex from people in your neighbourhoodon January 14, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Telegram has rapidly become a light version of the dark web - with major privacy concerns.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Signal won't replace WhatsApp, people will use both, says a cofounder of one and leader of the otheron January 13, 2021 at 11:27 pm
"I have no desire to do all the things that WhatsApp does," Brian Acton, cofounder of he Signal Foundation, told TechCrunch. Acton also cofounded WhatsApp.
- Businessinsider.co.za | TikTok will make under-16s' accounts private by default to protect them from potential groomerson January 13, 2021 at 12:25 pm
Tiktok, the short video app beloved by teens, changed its rules so any under-16 will have to actively approve friend requests.
- Businessinsider.co.za | What to know about Signal, the secure messaging app that keeps all of your conversations privateon January 13, 2021 at 11:07 am
Signal is a free messaging app that uses end-to-end encryption to keep your messages and files private.
- Businessinsider.co.za | South Africans are downloading Telegram like crazy – and Signal isn’t far behindon January 12, 2021 at 9:17 pm
WhatsApp – which is stressing that message contents will remain secure – is way down on download charts.
- Businessinsider.co.za | Elon Musk's Starlink internet satellite service has been approved in the UKon January 11, 2021 at 3:48 pm
After receiving UK regulation, SpaceX has already begun sending Starlink kits for its public beta to users in the country.
- Businessinsider.co.za | How to check if WhatsApp already gives your info to Facebook – but it will take three dayson January 11, 2021 at 12:54 pm
You had a 30-day window – in 2016 – to opt out of information sharing between WhatsApp and Facebook. Checking whether you did will take a while.