- News24.com | LETTER TO THE EDITOR | R200 billion needs to be spent to get Joburg back on trackon June 19, 2021 at 4:25 pm
DA councilor Leah Knott writes a response to Mandy Wiener's column 'Johannesburg: No longer a city of gold but one of despair
- News24.com | ANALYSIS | Lacklustre climate targets are a risky proposition for South Africaon June 19, 2021 at 5:06 am
As part of the Paris Climate Agreement, signatories must revist their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) every five years. Melissa Fourie writes that South Africa falls woefully short in its latest draft NDC update.
- News24.com | FRIDAY BRIEFING | Tembisa 10 saga: Anatomy of fake newson June 18, 2021 at 5:59 am
How a feel-good babies story went from world record to journalistic disaster.
- News24.com | ANALYSIS | Now more than ever, we need to help learners catch up. Here's whyon June 17, 2021 at 12:08 pm
If our future teachers are taught how to creatively and compassionately deal with the challenges of an unequal schooling system, we may be in a better position to undo the damages caused by the pandemic, writes Rahima Essop, Pumza Ndamase and Sven […]
- News24.com | OPINION | France and Germany's ambassadors: Sharing sovereignty, state dinners. Odd? Not for uson June 17, 2021 at 9:01 am
French Ambassador to South Africa, Aurélien Lechevallier and German Ambassador to South Africa, Martin Schäfer breakdown why French President Emmanuel Macron wanted to have German Minister Jens Spahn with him in South Africa during his state […]
- News24.com | OPINION | Youth Day, 45 years on: Reflections on the meaning of 16 June for today's worldon June 16, 2021 at 7:01 am
To mark Youth Day, several contributors have written on their reflections on 16 June 1976, and what the day means to them.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Lisa Asani: We should not stand in the way of the youth building our futureon June 16, 2021 at 6:55 am
May we be careful as a society to not stand in the way of the youth but instead uplift and stand with them, writes 18-year-old Lisa Asani in Cape Town.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Yoshin Leonard: If we have a common goal, we can flourishon June 16, 2021 at 6:54 am
I see a future where the idea of the 'us-them' mentality, with regard to racial groups, instead becomes the 'how do we move together as humanity', writes 24-year-old Yoshin Leonard.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Kayla Brittan: How can children walk in our footsteps when we walk backwards?on June 16, 2021 at 6:54 am
Revolutions are guided by a drive and passion for change, both are present in our youth so a revolution is coming, writes The Justice Desk chief operations officer Kayla Brittan in Cape Town.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Jacques Arthur de Villiers: We must choose not to give our future to those who oppresson June 16, 2021 at 6:53 am
I believe we face two possibilities – the one created by the dreamers and the one created by the "others", writes 23-year-old Jacques Arthur de Villiers from Johannesburg.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Musabbiha Jagot: I want us to stop competing - and be more humanon June 16, 2021 at 6:53 am
I want a future where we support and uplift each other, where we are not driven by materialism, money and greed. I think of a future that is better for all, writes 23-year-old Musabbiha Jagot from Durban.
- News24.com | #YouthDayEssay | Olivia Christians: I try my best to not stress about my futureon June 16, 2021 at 6:52 am
Things might not be as lovely in this present time, but every day is a new day. The storm will pass and the sun will rise again, writes 18-year-old Olivia Christians from Pretoria.
- News24.com | Tawana Kupe | Just like in 1976, our collective future lies in the hands of the youthon June 16, 2021 at 6:47 am
The context of our lives today might be different to 1976, but in no way does it diminish the contribution of young people in creating a new society, writes Tawana Kupe.
- News24.com | Mmusi Maimane | We need to address our current challenges to honour the youth of 1976on June 16, 2021 at 6:46 am
We should use Youth Day to reflect as a country on where we are, where we should be and how we should get there, writes Mmusi Maimane.
- News24.com | Mamphela Ramphele | We need to reimagine our country for the sake of our youthon June 16, 2021 at 6:46 am
We need to reimagine our country into the just inclusive society so many fought and died for, writes Mamphela Ramphele. She is of the view that the high levels of inequity and exclusion cannot the tackled by the same socio-economic system that […]
- News24.com | Mahlodi Muofhe | The learners of 1976 want challenges in education system to be resolvedon June 16, 2021 at 6:45 am
Mahlodi Muofhe argues that the meaning of 16 June has been lost by the renaming of it to Youth Day. He writes that we haven't seen much change at learning facilities over the years as a result, despite the battle that was fought for quality […]
- News24.com | Siya Khumalo | Church, could the ACDP be your biggest business risk?on June 15, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Christianity's credibility — and the financial support churches get — is jeopardised whenever the ACDP shores up homophobic positions by special pleading (i.e. "God's Word says"), writes Siya Khumalo.
- News24.com | John Steenhuisen | If you care about SA, join us in fighting Expropriation Without Compensationon June 15, 2021 at 5:00 am
In the face of this crisis, the decision to persist with a policy that will turn South Africa into an investment wasteland and condemn these mostly young South Africans to a lifetime of poverty is unforgivable, writes John Steenhuisen.
- News24.com | Barbara Creecy | Invasion of alien species accelerates decline of biodiversityon June 14, 2021 at 2:43 pm
Current estimates suggest the ecological costs of invasive alien plants and animals to be more than R6.5 billion each year, writes Barbara Creecy.
- News24.com | Cyril Ramaphosa | Young people are our greatest weapon in our fight for economic recoveryon June 14, 2021 at 10:11 am
Youth Day is a reminder of the immense power and agency that young people have to create a better future for themselves, writes Cyril Ramaphosa.