- News24.com | 'Ebola is defeated', says Congolese professor who discovered viruson September 19, 2021 at 10:31 am
Ebola has been defeated. Vaccines and medical treatments have brought the deadly and terrifying disease under control, says Jean-Jacques Muyembe, the Congolese professor who first discovered the virus more than 40 years ago.
- News24.com | Africa Covid jab shortfall could take world 'back to square one', says WHOon September 17, 2021 at 12:47 pm
Africa faces a 470 million shortfall in Covid-19 vaccine doses this year after the Covax alliance cut its projected shipments, the WHO has said.
- News24.com | Ebola virus in survivors can trigger outbreaks years after infectionon September 16, 2021 at 2:43 pm
Ebola survivors can relapse and trigger outbreaks at least five years after infection, and long-term follow-up of former patients is needed to prevent devastating flare-ups, according to new research.
- News24.com | French forces kill IS Sahel jihadist leader wanted by USon September 16, 2021 at 12:27 pm
France said on Thursday its troops deployed in the Sahel region of Africa had killed the head of Islamic State in the Greater Sahara (ISGS) extremist group who was wanted for deadly attacks on US soldiers and foreign aid workers.
- News24.com | UN withdraws Gabon peacekeepers from Central Africa over sex abuse claimson September 16, 2021 at 11:49 am
The United Nations on Wednesday ordered the withdrawal of Gabon's 450-strong peacekeeping contingent from the Central African Republic over sexual abuse allegations, a scourge that has long tarnished UN interventions.
- News24.com | One million Nigerian children to miss school due to insecurity:UNon September 16, 2021 at 9:29 am
One million Nigerian children will likely stay away from school because of the threat of violence after a series of mass kidnappings and attacks targeting students this year, the UN said on Wednesday.
- News24.com | West African leaders to hold summit on Guinea coup on Thursdayon September 15, 2021 at 1:58 pm
West African leaders will meet on Thursday to decide how to respond to the coup in Guinea and how to pressure the junta leaders to return the country to constitutional rule, Ghana's foreign minister said.
- News24.com | Algerian journalist ordered held in custodyon September 15, 2021 at 1:13 pm
An Algerian journalist from a local French-language newspaper has been remanded in custody, accused of belonging to a terrorist organisation and spreading false information, a lawyer and rights group said.
- News24.com | Enron unit loses claim to R530m Nigerian yachton September 15, 2021 at 12:55 pm
A US court dismissed an appeal by a former unit of Enron that tried to stake a claim to the proceeds from the sale of a luxury yacht to settle a debt it’s owed by Nigeria’s government.
- News24.com | WHO aims for 30 percent of needed Africa Covid-19 jabs by Februaryon September 15, 2021 at 12:25 pm
The WHO says it hopes to provide Africa with about 30 percent of the vaccines the continent needs by February.
- News24.com | Kenya to begin manufacturing Covid vaccineson September 15, 2021 at 11:50 am
Kenya is establishing a fill-and-finish facility for Covid-19 vaccines ahead of setting up a full-scale manufacturing plant to guarantee supply.
- News24.com | Stench of death: villagers flee site of Ethiopia mass killingson September 15, 2021 at 7:52 am
Bodies of rebel fighters dot the roads and fields leading to Chenna, a village in the mountains of northern Ethiopia that this month saw one of the most gruesome reported incidents in the country's 10-month-old war.
- News24.com | Zimbabwe imposes Covid-19 vaccine on churchgoerson September 14, 2021 at 10:17 pm
Zimbabwe's parliament on Tuesday banned anyone not vaccinated against Covid-19 from attending church services, the latest in a series of measure to boost uptake of the coronavirus jab.
- News24.com | Covid-19: African countries want to buy vaccines rather than waiting for donations, says AUon September 14, 2021 at 7:43 pm
Africa wants to buy Covid-19 vaccines, rather than keep waiting for donor-funded doses to arrive, the African Union said Tuesday, imploring producers to give the continent a fair shot at market access.
- News24.com | Covid-19: WHO-backed vaccine hub for Africa to copy Moderna's shoton September 14, 2021 at 3:53 pm
Efforts to develop an African base for vaccine production will focus on trying to replicate Moderna's shot, but a lack of progress in talks with the US company mean the project will take time, a senior WHO official says.
- News24.com | Corrupt oil trader turns on colleagues in massive Africa bribe caseon September 14, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Glencore and some of its executives face the prospect of steep fines and prison in a far-reaching investigation of tactics in numerous countries and commodity markets.
- News24.com | Nigeria recaptures 108 inmates after prison outbreakon September 14, 2021 at 12:41 pm
At least 108 out of 240 inmates who escaped from a prison in central Nigeria have been recaptured, a prison official said Tuesday.
- News24.com | Angola gets first sovereign credit-rating upgrade by Moody’son September 14, 2021 at 11:59 am
Moody’s Investors Service raised Angola’s credit rating for the first time.
- News24.com | J&J reports promising Ebola vaccine dataon September 14, 2021 at 9:54 am
Johnson & Johnson said on Monday its Ebola vaccine regimen demonstrated antibody immune responses in adults and children, citing data published in the Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.
- News24.com | WATCH | All the latest news videos from around Africaon August 13, 2021 at 12:36 pm
Watch all the latest news videos from around Africa