- Police and Treasury offline — network problem knocks out South African governmentby Staff Writer on September 19, 2021 at 7:17 am
The external network services of several South African government departments have been offline since Saturday night, barely one week after a previous fault caused a similar outage.
- First all-civilian SpaceX flight returns to Earthby Bloomberg on September 19, 2021 at 6:36 am
The first all-civilian crew to orbit the Earth splashed down in the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday.
- Plan to end South Africa’s Covid-19 lockdownby Staff Writer on September 19, 2021 at 6:12 am
This is when the South African government expects it could lift the national state of disaster and end the Covid-19 lockdown.
- Alarming number of security breaches in South Africaby Jan Vermeulen on September 19, 2021 at 5:07 am
Following the ransomware attack on the Department of Justice, South Africa’s Information Regulator said it is concerned about the number of security breaches in South Africa and revealed how many were reported to it in August.
- Facebook fights backby Bloomberg on September 19, 2021 at 4:21 am
Facebook pushed back on reports that the company was aware of the negative impact of its products, claiming that the allegations don’t tell the whole picture.
- Digital vaccine passport for South Africa delayedby Spotlight on September 18, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Health minister Joe Phaahla walked back earlier statements that South Africa's digital Covid-19 vaccine certificate would be available this week or the next.
- ASUS VivoBook 14 — Portable powerhouseby Staff Writer on September 18, 2021 at 11:59 am
The VivoBook 14 from ASUS offers high performance in a portable chassis at a great price.
- Voting registration chaos in South Africaby Hanno Labuschagne on September 18, 2021 at 9:35 am
The IEC's voter registration website and new voter management devices have been experiencing network problems since Saturday morning, preventing South Africans from registering for the upcoming local elections.
- Standard Bank closing airport loungeby Staff Writer on September 18, 2021 at 7:59 am
Standard Bank has announced it will close one of its lounges at the O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg next month.
- AMD vulnerability can leak passwords – update nowby Hanno Labuschagne on September 18, 2021 at 6:41 am
Chip manufacturer AMD has shared more details on a chipset driver vulnerability that allowed non-admin computer users to download passwords and carry out other attacks.
- Apple announces mandatory Covid-19 vaccination or frequent testing for employeesby Bloomberg on September 18, 2021 at 5:23 am
Apple Inc. will begin mandating frequent Covid-19 testing for U.S. employees who aren’t vaccinated, while letting inoculated workers get checked less often.
- Eskom doesn’t deserve a cent of taxpayer money — De Ruyterby The Conversation on September 18, 2021 at 5:00 am
Eskom can't rely on government bailouts forever, but it also needs the energy sector regulator to allow it to increase prices to meet the cost of producing power, says CEO André de Ruyter.
- Like cars, social media will kill people — Instagram bossby Staff Writer on September 17, 2021 at 10:48 pm
Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri says that, just like cars, social media can kill people, but its value was greater than its cost.
- Best smartphone deals in South Africaby Myles Illidge on September 17, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Takealot and Incredible Connection are advertising impressive deals on Samsung smartphones including the Galaxy S20 and S21+.
- Telegram’s cybercrime problemby Myles Illidge on September 17, 2021 at 2:15 pm
An investigation into cybercrime activity on Telegram's messaging services revealed data dumps containing numerous email and password combinations.