- 1983: US troops invade Grenadaon October 24, 2003 at 8:35 am
American forces seize control of the Caribbean island of Grenada less than a week after a left-wing coup in which the prime minister, Maurice Bishop, was killed.
- 1964: President Kaunda takes power in Zambiaon February 6, 2003 at 4:40 pm
Zambia is the ninth African state to gain independence from the British crown.
- 1984: Europe grants emergency aid for Ethiopiaon November 14, 2002 at 5:55 pm
The EEC is donating £1.8 million to help combat the famine in Ethiopia.
- 1976: Queen opens National Theatre in Londonon November 14, 2002 at 5:45 pm
The Queen has officially opened the National Theatre on the South Bank in London after years of delays.
- 2001: Crime rates lowest for 20 yearson November 14, 2002 at 5:42 pm
British Crime Survey reveals the chances of being a victim of crime are lowest for 20 years.